Gifts to Support Women Activities
Donate instead of giving more “stuff”
Many women, having decided they do not need more ‘stuff’ and instead donate money to charitable organizations rather than purchasing presents for one another.
The CUUWA encourages this trend by providing a short list of recommended websites. Each of the organizations on the list have a proven record of providing effective support that changes the lives of girls and women within Canada and internationally.
We ask that CUUWA members help sustain the established momentum of the following organizations by
- Providing donations through direct giving
- Donating gift cards to friends
- Recommending these website to to the donors
This list is maintained as a maximum of ten sites and is reviewed every six months. Suggestions for other sites will be appreciatively received.
CUUWA TOP TEN RECOMMENDED WEB SITES.
(Listed in Alphabetical Order)
1. Abortion Rights Coalition of Canada:- struggles to maintain a Canadian national lobby. www.arcc-cdac.ca
2. Amnesty International is a renown human rights organization with a base in Canada. www.amnesty.ca
3. Canadian Women for Women in Afghanistan is a charity that provides support for educational projects in Afghanistan.
4. Daughters for Life is a foundation established by Toronto-based Dr. Izzeldin Abuelaish, a Palestinian MD infertility specialist, nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. He lost 3 daughters and a niece when his home was bombed by Israeli forces. “I Shall not Hate” is his recent publication – with Sally Armstrong. www.daughtersforlife.com
5. Equal Voice is a non-partisan Canadian women’s organization that attempts to build momentum for the participation of women in politics. It has a national office but operates on a chapter basis. www.equalvoice.ca
6. FINCA – a Canadian mircro-financing organization, based in Toronto, that focuses upon women. www.FINCACanada.org
7. Kiva is a micro-funding group that UUs have strongly supported. Join the Unitarian Flames team on Kiva to hear what other Canadian UUs are doing. www.Kiva.org
8. Light Up the World Papua New Guinea is an LED project that commemorates Cptn Nichola Goddard, the first Canadian female soldier to be killed in action. www.lutw.org/Papua/New/Guinea
9. The Stephen Lewis Foundation (SLF) works with community-level organizations which are turning the tide of HIV/AIDS in Africa by providing care and support to women, orphans, grandmothers and people living with HIV and AIDS. www.stephenlewisfoundation.org
10. USC Canada – Gifts That Grow - USC Canada works with people and organizations in more than 10 countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Agriculture is the central focus of USC work. Through the Seeds of Survival Program, they promote long-term food security for marginal farming communities in all partner countries.
http://usc-canada.org – follow ‘Donate Now’ link to ‘Gifts that Grow’ for gifts of water, seed, fruit trees and more